Air hostess is a career path in the aviation industry. A career as an air hostess can be pretty rewarding. Apart from earning money, you get to travel and experience beautiful places worldwide.
The job allows you to interact with people from different backgrounds and cultures. The air hostess career falls under the aviation industry; it automatically becomes a high-paying job after the 12th.
Making a career as an air hostess is one of the best decisions you can make in your life. As an air hostess, you will also be able to contact the airlines and get discounts for personal and family travel.
But here are some questions that would come to your mind before pursuing a career as an air hostess. Such as whether this career has a promising future? What is the future scope of these paths? How is work-life? And many more.
So to clear up all your doubts, I have written this blog where I’ll be explaining everything in detail related to the air hostess.
From starting to eligibility criteria and how to apply for this course, I will mention all these things in this blog.
Aside from that, this blog post will discuss the future scope of the air hostess, salary, and job roles. So without wasting your time, let's dive into the topics.
Who is an Air Hostess?
An air hostess is a professional who falls under the private or commercial airline’s member. This profession mainly falls under hospitality.
Their main job is to greet every passenger, assist with luggage, coordinate with the security staff, and guide them with safety and seating.
Other than that, their job is to check the flight arrangement regarding safety and emergency equipment before the takeoff and landing of the aircraft.
You might also like:-
- High salary course after 12th science.
- How to Become a Pilot in India: Eligibility, Training, License & Salary.
- How to Become a Loco Pilot? Eligibility, Exams, Job & Salary.
- To become an air hostess, one needs to be 18 years old and 25 years below. The age limit plays a massive role in selecting air hostess positions. The younger you are, the greater the chances are of your being able to get a job.
- A candidate (mostly a girl) between 18 and 21 is the most parable in the requirements, and we can safely say this age group's chances are high in the selection process.
Quite a few jobs in the world give importance to the marital status of the candidates, and your surprise air hostess job is one of them.
Almost all airlines prefer to hire unmarried women for air hostess positions.
The few airlines that hire married women have severe pregnancy policies, i.e. not to get pregnant in their career as an air hostess.
The minimum educational requirements for an air hostess position include a class 12th or equivalent qualification from recognized boards.
The student should do his 11th and 12th in science streams with Physics, Chemistry, and Maths as compulsory subjects.
Students can also become air hostesses from a commerce background by undergoing a BBA aviation course after their 12th.
The candidate should then apply for a diploma, degree, or aviation course that they believe is appropriate for them from a list of available courses.
In a later section of the blog, we also mentioned the list of the courses that are available for air hostess jobs.
- The most important physical requirement for an air hostess is to be young, beautiful, and slender.
- Air hostesses' personalities should be cheerful, helpful, and friendly during their working hours.
- They should also be able to communicate effectively and have a pleasant voice tone.
- Also, there should be no tattoos present on the entire body. If tattoos are there, they should not be present on the visible parts of the body.
- Another important thing is that the air hostess should apply heavy makeup on their face with dark lipstick on their lips at the time of duty.
- The candidate needs to be physically fit.
- The height requirement for a female candidate is 157 cm (minimum) and for males is 170 cm (minimum). It should be noted here that there may be a 1-2 cm difference in height between one airline and another.
- The eyes must be 6/9 (minimum) in each eye. Here, one thing is also noted: if you have any contact lenses, you can also sit with them in medical exams. You have to use eye lenses during job hours rather than your glasses.
- Nowadays, airlines consider a candidate's weight concerning their height. It would be best if you were not underweight or overweight. For these various airlines, test the candidate on their BMI ratio, where for females, the appropriate BMI is between 18-22, and for males, it is 18-25.
- A rigorous series of tests of the candidate's entire body is performed to ensure that the candidate is free of any mental or physical illnesses.
- Apart from this, it is also necessary for air hostesses to know how to swim. Hence, a test is also conducted for this.
Skills Required to Become an Air Hostess
- Need to be well mannered and punctual.
- Need to be adaptable and flexible.
- Need to have a good sense of cultural awareness.
- It is necessary to cope with stress with tolerance and self-control.
- A skill with a high level of attention to detail is required.
- Need to have organizational skills.
- Need to have teamwork and leadership skills.
- Need to have excellent customer service skills.
- Need to have excellent communication skills.
- The ability to be friendly and caring skills is required.
- Need to have good professional skills.
- It is necessary to have a strong command of various foreign languages.
Responsibility of Air Hostesses
- An air hostess's responsibilities are to help passengers with de-boarding and boarding during a flight.
- Once onboard, their primary responsibility is to look after the passengers the entire journey.
- They are responsible for giving proper instructions to passengers about safety procedures and handling luggage.
- They are also responsible for greeting every passenger and safely guiding them to their seat.
- Their entire job is to provide comfort to the passengers by providing blankets and pillows, operating the in-flight movie, giving extra attention to children, and even offering comforting words during the entire journey.
- In an emergency, air hostesses are also responsible for assisting passengers with medical requirements.
- Apart from that, they are in charge of inspecting emergency equipment before departure.
To become an air hostess, one needs to pursue a certificate program to get the job. The certificate courses can be either diploma or bachelor degrees.
So below, we have mentioned a list of the degree and diploma programs of aviation. We had also mentioned some of the top diplomae and degree colleges with this list.
Diploma Aviation Courses
The diploma courses are certificate courses that can take a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 3 years long.
To get a job as an air hostess, one can pursue anyone diploma course mentioned below.
|Courses ||Duration |
|Diploma in Airline Management||1 Year|
|Diploma in Airlines, Tourism, and Hospitality||1-2 Years|
|Diploma in Airline, Hospitality, and Tourism||1-2 Years|
|Diploma in Airline, Hospitality and Travel Management||1-2 Years|
|Diploma in Airline Operations||6 months -1 year|
|Diploma In Air Cargo Practices & Documentation||1 Year|
|Diploma in Travel Management and Airport Handling||1 Year|
|Advance Diploma in Airline, Hospitality, and Tourism||1 Year|
|Diploma in Air Cargo Management||1 Year|
|Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering||2-3 Years|
|Diploma in Cabin Crew||6 Months|
Top Diploma Aviation Colleges in India
Below are some top 10 aviation colleges present in India
- Institute of Logistics and Aviation Management, Mumbai
- Institute of Aviation and Management, Bangalore
- Taneja Aerospace and Aviation Limited
- JRN Institute of Aviation Technology
- Indian Aviation Academy, Mumbai
- Vasundhara Aviation Academy, Bhopal
- Trade Wings Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Hindustan Aviation Academy, Bangalore
- Noida International Academy, Noida
- Buddha Institute of Aviation Technology
Bachelor Aviation Courses
The bachelor aviation courses are degree courses around a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 4 years long.
To get jobs in airlines, one can pursue after their 12th to get jobs as an air hostess.
|Courses ||Duration |
|BBA in Business Management ||3 Years |
|BBA in Aviation||3 Years |
|B.Tech Aeronautical Engineering||4 years|
|B.Sc in Airline And Airport Management||3 Years |
|B.Sc Aviation||3 Years |
|BBA in Airport Management||3 Years |
Top Undergraduate Aviation Colleges in India:
- Indian Institute of Aeronautics, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Aeronautics Science, Jamshedpur
- Indian Institute for Aeronautical Engineering and information, Pune
- A.J.Aviation Academy, Bangalore
- Indian Aviation Academy, Mumbai
- Rajiv Gandhi Aviation Academy, Hyderabad
- Hindustan Aviation Academy, Bangalore
- Wingss college of aviation technology, Pune
- Ahmedabad Aviation and Aeronautics, Ahmedabad
- Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi, Raebareli city
You might also like:
- BSc in Aviation: Eligibility, Syllabus, scope
- B.Sc in Forensic Science: Scope, Eligibility, Skills, and Scholarships.
- Career In Animation In India – Top Animation Courses.
How to Apply for Air Hostess Jobs?
For applying for air hostess, one needs to qualify all criteria mentioned above, like eligibility, Education qualification, Physical and medical requirements.
Then, the candidate needs to have at least a diploma or degree certificate in the aviation field. This list of the aviation and degree course was also mentioned above.
One can apply for an air hostess job once all of the requirements have been met that are mentioned above.
If you graduate from India's top aviation college, you will undoubtedly get a placement there.
If your placement does not occur through your college, you can go to airline websites directly.
You can find the latest employment opportunities from this airline’s website, particularly with airlines.
Most airlines place adverts in newspapers, social media, and other publications so that you can acquire the most up-to-date information about job vacancies from there.
When hiring new personnel for air hostess airlines, make sure the candidate goes through the stages outlined below.
A written test is the first step in the recruitment process for new air hostesses. Almost every airline follows this procedure.
Airlines use the written exam to assess a candidate's IQ, logical reasoning, mathematical ability, and social awareness. With the help of this exam, airlines can identify candidates' flaws.
Following the exam, a list of selected candidates is posted on their respective recruitment portals.
Candidates whose names appear in this portal are invited to participate in the next round of assessments.
This is the second stage of the selection process, in which candidates gather in one place and begin a group discussion about the themes assigned to them.
Airlines use group discussion (GD) to assess candidates' leadership, communication, confidence, social skills and behavior, civility, teamwork, listening capacity, general awareness, problem-solving skills, and other attributes.
You can proceed to the last stage of the recruitment process once you have qualified for this step.
The interview process is the final step of recruitment; in this candidate, an interview happens where the interviewer asks questions on the various aspects of the candidate.
If the candidate provides the appropriate answer to the interviewer's question, then the candidate's selection happens.
In this process, the candidate document verification also happens; hence its advises the candidate to carry the original documents during the interview.
After everything is verified, the candidate gets selected for the air hostess job.
Job Roles of Air-Hostess & Salary
Air hostess positions aren't just for cabin staff; candidates can do many jobs depending on the candidate's talents and interests. The positions are listed below with their respective Salary.
1. Cabin Crew
It is the most demanding position in air hostess. Cabin crews are often the ambassadors of an airline, and they are responsible for providing excellent service to passengers and maintaining the comfort of the cabin.
They oversee the diverse requirements of flight passengers and ensure that their comfort is maintained. In addition to serving passengers, they prepare and serve meals.
Cabin crew is a job that requires a high level of commitment and teamwork, and these individuals are responsible for keeping the cabin clean to airline standards.
Salary of Cabin Crew
The Salary of the cabin crew is one of the highest paying around any job role of an air hostess.
The median Salary of a cabin crew is around 60,000 - 70,000 ₹. With the highest Salary reach up to 1.5L - 2L ₹ per month.
The fresher can expect anything around 45,000 - 55,000 ₹ per month
2. Senior Flight Attendant
A senior flight attendant's job requires high interpersonal skills and strong attention to detail.
These individuals are responsible for overseeing the crew and passengers and have great autonomy.
Basically, a senior flight attendant has more freedom and responsibility than a normal cabin crew member, and they have more flexibility in their schedule and commute to work.
Senior flight attendants are in charge of the safety of passengers on board an aircraft.
These individuals are also responsible for cleaning and tidying the cabin, including folding blankets, wiping down buffets, and straightening curtains.
Salary of Senior Flight Attendant
The Average Salary of a senior flight attendant is between 15 to 18 lakhs per year.
With the highest Salary reaching up to 45 lakhs per year, freshers can expect a salary between 6 to 7 lakhs per year.
3. Ground Staff Attendant
The duties of a ground staff member are numerous and vary from one airline to another. The main responsibilities of ground staff include:
- Coordinating the services of the airline's team during a stopover.
- Preparing fuel and weather.
- Drafting the necessary documents.
- Assisting passengers.
Some ground staff may be responsible for screening passengers and luggage, loading and unloading luggage, and helping passengers get on and off planes.
They may also be accountable for giving pilots instructions on which taxi spots to use after a plane lands.
Salary of Ground Staff Attendant
The Salary of ground staff is lesser than that of any other air hostess position, yet it is still a fair salary.
A newcomer in this position can expect to earn between 3 to 4 lakhs per year. The median wage is between 5 to 6 lakhs per year, with the highest pay reaching 12 lakhs per year.
4. Crew Manager
As the airline cabin crew manager, you will be responsible for driving the crew's performance. You will ensure that the cabin crew is working within airline policies.
Cabin Crew will also determine the performance standards for cabin staff. They will manage cabin crew and assign resources to flights based on the network planning department.
They will also interview candidates for the job and determine their suitability.
The Crew Manager's main objective in this position is to foster teamwork. The cabin crew Manager will recognize the good work of your cabin staff and help them face challenges.
Salary of Crew Manager
A crew manager's average monthly Salary is roughly 65,000 - 75,000 ₹, while a newbie can expect a monthly income of Rs. 55,000-Rs. 60,000. The maximum monthly Salary can be up to 1 lakhs.
5. Crew Scheduler
The job of a crew scheduler is fairly straightforward. The task includes maintaining communication with all crew members and scheduling flights.
Additionally, they must be diplomatic and pay attention to flight operations. They must also keep track of crew member sick days, vacation days, and seniority, among other factors.
Lastly, they must ensure that the aircraft flying schedules follow maintenance and seniority requirements.
Aside from working in a fast-paced environment, they must also be able to work with accuracy and professionalism.
This position is an operational necessity for airlines. In addition, a good crew scheduler must handle high-volume workloads.
Salary of Crew Scheduler
Freshers can expect to earn between 5-6 lakhs per year as crew schedulers, while the average income for this position is approximately 8-9 lakhs per year. The maximum annual income is between 13 and 15 lakhs.
6. Airlines Trainer
Airlines trainers are the individual who trains the recently joined air hostess for their respective jobs.
Airlines trainers are experienced people who have very good past experiences as air hostesses.
They are also involved in the selection process of new air hostesses during interview rounds.
Salary of Airlines Trainer
The average mean Salary of airlines trainers is between 6-7 lakhs per annum, whereas the highest Salary can rise to 25 lakhs per annum.
The new joiner in this job can expect to salary anything around 3-4 lakhs per annum.
Top Air Hostess Recruiters Airlines
Below, we have mentioned some of the top airlines that have recruited air hostesses throughout the years. In this list, we have mentioned both Indian and overseas airlines.
- Air Asia
- Emirates Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Virgin Atlantic
- Air India
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
How to Become an Air-Hostess: Wrap Up!
Becoming an air hostess will give you great pay and endless opportunities. Moreover, you will have the opportunity to work for many airlines and even international companies.
Aside from being a part of the aviation industry, you will have the chance to travel to different parts of the world.
Due to this, you will get the opportunity to meet different people of different cultural backgrounds.
In this blog, we have provided every information regarding air hostess in detail, but if you find any doubt in this, let us know through the comment. We will try to resolve it as soon as possible.
I have written this blog for you guys with a lot of . If you share this blog with your friends, then it'll be very helpful for me. Sharing is .